About Medical Billing and Coding
Medical billing is the practice of submitting claims to private and government insurance companies, including Medicare, in order for doctors offices and hospitals to receive payment for medical and health care services.
There is a huge potential job market for qualified medical records technicians, and an online degree or certificate program will provide you with the skill set and expertise that will make you irresistible to prospective health care employers. Upon successful completion of the Medical Billing and Coding course, students will be prepared for an entry-level position doing medical billing or coding in a medical office setting and will be prepared to sit for the CCA national certification exam.
Medical billers are specialists in the medical billing process. Often they function as medical reimbursement consultants to medical practices to help them become more efficient in their cash flow. Medical billers also are proficient in financial analysis, workflow and utilization of software, collections, insurance claim submission and management, patient and electronic medical records (EMR) management, HIPAA compliance, health insurance rules, insurance fraud issues, networking, marketing, customer services and many other related areas.
Use our directory of medical billing and coding schools in New York to find the program that meet your needs.
Featured New York Medical Billing & Coding Schools
Elmira Business Institute
Take the fast track to your future at Elmira Business Institute!
Learn how you can get the training you need to begin a rewarding career in a field of high-demand. Complete and submit the form and one of our Admissions Representatives will be in touch soon to tell you more.
Advantages offered by Elmira Business Institute include:
- Financial aid available for those who qualify
- Accelerated, career-centered training in a wide range of industries
- Flexible scheduling
- Tuition planning
- Lifetime career assistance
- Two convenient campus locations
Complete one of EBI’s Certificate Programs:
- General Business
- General Office Assistant
- Small Business Management
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Coding and Billing
- Medical Office Assistant
Earn your Associate Degree:
- Business Administration
- Office Technologies
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Coding and Reimbursement Specialist
EBI holds Accreditation through New York State Board of Regents, the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS) and the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP).
EBI is proud to support our country’s veterans and has been approved for veterans benefits.
- Associate - Medical Billing and Reimbursement
- Certificate - Medical Billing and Coding
- Associate - Medical Office Technologies
College of Westchester
Since 1915, The College of Westchester (CW) has focused on the career success of its students. CW’s academic programs are carefully designed to provide the skills and competencies most desired by employers. Our campus environment is highly personal and our culture centers on service to students. CW faculty is selected based on experience, credentials and a caring attitude to bring real world knowledge to the classroom. The College’s technologies and web-enhanced learning tools give students anywhere, anytime connectivity to courses, professors, classmates and services. The College of Westchester offers an exceptional experience that can lead to a lifetime of achievement and success.
- White Plains
- Health Information Management - Associate
- Medical Office Specialist - Certificate
- Health Services Administration - Bachelor's
The mission of Mildred Elley is to provide quality career education and technical training to allow students of diverse educational, cultural and personal backgrounds to become successful in an ever-changing global economy. Mildred Elley strives to afford students quality placement opportunities and instill in all of our graduates a desire for lifelong education and learning.
- Mildred Elley - Pittsfield, MA
- Medical Office Assistant - CERT
- Clinical Medical Assistant - CERT
Saint Paul's School of Nursing
Are you ready for an exciting new career in nursing or healthcare?
St. Paul’s School of Nursing can teach you the skills you need to succeed in the growing fields of nursing, medical assisting, or dental assisting.
- St. Paul’s School of Nursing is an accredited nursing school with convenient locations in Queens and Staten Island, New York City.
- We provide a comprehensive, thorough nursing education. Obtain your Associate Degree in Nursing at St. Paul’s and prepare to become a Registered Nurse (RN).
- A nursing career offers tremendous flexibility because nurses can relocate anywhere in the country and can work flexible schedules either full or part time.
- Employment prospects for nurses are expected to continue to expand for the foreseeable future because of the national shortage of RNs, the increased emphasis on preventive care and demand for healthcare services required by our aging baby-boom population.
- Staten Island
- Medical Assistant