About Massage Therapy Careers
Massage therapy is part of the field of alternative medicine, an umbrella term for healing practices that draw on more traditional and holistic, rather than scientific or technological, approaches to medicine. Massage therapy training programs vary in content and focus, but they have in common a desire to promote the long-term healing of the entire body as a whole rather than treating symptoms individually.
As massage therapy and other forms of alternative medicine gain a reputation for positive results on everything from back pain to cancer, the field is seeing ever-growing popularity. More and more patients are now seeking out massage therapy practitioners to either supplement or replace Western medicinal methods.
Other Recognized Forms of Alternative Medicine
Here is a list of practices presently recognized as alternative medicine with definitions informed by the Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine:
- Acupuncture – A thousand year old healing practice that reinvigorates health through stimulation, usually applied with thin metallic needles, of specific pulse points on the body.
- Ayurvedic Medicine – One of the oldest forms of medicine in the world, Ayurveda is similar to Naturopathy in its prescription of lifestyle changes and heavy reliance on herbs, plants, and oils to cleanse the body.
- Homeopathy – A form of alternative therapy created in Germany that promotes healing through low dose administration of naturally occurring herbs and plants.
- Massage Therapy – Manipulation of the muscular structure to promote healing and general well-being. This ancient practice is one of the more popular alternative methods currently practiced.
- Naturopathy – A form of treatment that prescribes an individualized lifestyle plan for every patient, which may include everything from dietary changes to hydrotherapy and herbal supplements.
- Yoga – A combination of physical postures and breathing exercises meant to attain a state of relaxation or meditation.
The goal of all alternative medicine disciplines is to achieve a healthy balance between mind and body. As a result, many of the above practices complement each other as forms of treatment. Some practitioners choose to focus specifically on one method, although it is possible to specialize in one or more. It may expand your client base to offer a varied skill set.
Featured Massage Therapy Degree Programs
Baltimore School of Massage
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love… in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Baltimore School of Massage York Campus, that career can be yours.
Massage therapy is a flexible and rewarding career in which you not only take care of others – you also take care of yourself! You can work in a resort spa, cruise ship, medical office, sports clinic, destination spa, or a day spa close to home. You can even start your own private practice!
Why choose the Baltimore School of Massage York Campus?
- Graduate in as little as 7 1/2 months.
- Financial aid is available to those who qualify.
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
- Graduate with valuable hands-on experience in our student clinic.
- Career placement assistance is provided to all of our students and graduates.
- Day or evening classes are available.
- Our graduates work for many of the top spa industry employers in the nation.
5,000 New Job Opportunities Every Year!
The Baltimore School of Massage York Campus is part of the Steiner Education Group (SEG), which operates massage therapy schools and skin care schools at locations across the nation.
SEG’s National Career Services Department has developed a worldwide network of thousands of employers, which generates an average of more than 5,000 new job opportunities for SEG graduates each year!
Of course, your success ultimately depends on you. The Baltimore School of Massage York Campus cannot guarantee employment or salary. But our career services assistance starts when you are a student and does not stop even after you graduate. From your first job to your last in the industry – whether you need help tomorrow or ten years from now – we’re here to help you succeed.
The Steiner Advantage
The Steiner Education Group is a subsidiary of Steiner Leisure Limited, a global provider of spa services. Steiner Leisure Limited operates more than 175 spas and salons on cruise ships and at resorts worldwide. Steiner spas recruit from the Baltimore School of Massage York Campus.
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
The mission of Mildred Elley is to provide quality career education and technical training to allow students of diverse educational, cultural and personal backgrounds to become successful in an ever-changing global economy. Mildred Elley strives to afford students quality placement opportunities and instill in all of our graduates a desire for lifelong education and learning.
- Mildred Elley - New York City Metro
- Massage Therapy - AS
For 70 years, Lincoln Tech has been a leading institution helping students obtain professional success with a personalized touch. Hands-on training and individual career support are the foundations of your trade education for industries built on technology that is constantly evolving.
In-depth Lincoln Tech courses are designed to grow with the changing expectations of today’s job market. Flexible daytime and evening programs are offered to accommodate your busy schedule. At Lincoln, you’ll find career training for a variety of fields, such as Auto and Diesel Technology, Welding, Manufacturing, HVAC, Electrical, Health Sciences, Business & Information, Culinary Arts, and Spa/Cosmetology.
Lincoln stands apart from other schools in a variety of ways. The training programs emphasize first-hand, interactive learning activities – you’ll learn by “doing the job before getting the job”. Lincoln’s certificate, diploma and associate degree programs have been designed to accelerate your education and entrance into the job market. Lincoln students earn valuable on-the-job experience before many of their peers outside the school.
Lincoln’s instructors are an invaluable asset to the students because they possess a combination of seasoned teaching skills, subject matter expertise, job site experience and passion for their field. In addition to providing excellent career-specific training, Lincoln also cultivates partnerships with important local industry contacts. When you prepare to graduate, Lincoln’s Career Services Specialists assist in finding your best opportunities.
Lincoln Tech’s dedication to your success sets our schools apart from the competition. Your Lincoln education will set you apart from others entering the field when you graduate!
- Massage Therapy
Prepare for a Health Care Career in as Few as 8 Months at Southeastern Institute!
You can complete Southeastern Institute’s training programs in as few as 8 months!* Receive hands-on instruction from caring instructors with practical experience in the fields in which they teach. Southeastern’s small class sizes and individualized attention can be just what you need to succeed.
Southeastern Institute offers:
- Placement assistance for graduates
- Small class sizes with an emphasis on individual attention
- Financial aid for those who qualify
- Day or evening classes
- Hands-on training from industry-experienced faculty
- Financial aid available for those who qualify
To learn more, complete the request form on this page today!
Southeastern Institute is institutionally accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges, 2101 Wilson Blvd, Suite 302, Arlington, Virginia, 22201. Further information may be obtained by contacting the Commission at (703) 247-4212.
- Certificate in Professional Clinical Massage Therapy
Harris School of Business
Harris has become one of the fastest and most effective ways to begin a high growth career with excellent income potential. Harris has campuses conveniently located in Cherry Hill and Linwood. Students are instructed with state-of-the-art, real-world technologies that today’s employers are seeking.
- Cherry Hill
- Massage Therapy
Seacoast Career School
Seacoast has become one of the fastest and most effective ways to begin a high growth career with excellent income potential. Seacoast has campuses conveniently located in Manchester and Sanford. Students are instructed with state-of-the-art, real-world technologies that today’s employers are seeking.
- Massage Therapy
Bryan University Los Angeles
Bryan University was founded in 1940 as a court reporting college and has grown into the largest school of this kind in the U.S. For more than 70 years, we have been helping students achieve success in their academic and career endeavors. Our mission is to challenge the boundaries of traditional education and liberate the innate greatness in people. During the most recent accreditation year, Bryan University was designated an Honor Roll Institution by ACICS.
- Los Angeles
- Personal Trainer Undergraduate Certificate