About Massage Therapy Careers
Massage therapy is part of the field of alternative medicine, an umbrella term for healing practices that draw on more traditional and holistic, rather than scientific or technological, approaches to medicine. Massage therapy training programs vary in content and focus, but they have in common a desire to promote the long-term healing of the entire body as a whole rather than treating symptoms individually.
As massage therapy and other forms of alternative medicine gain a reputation for positive results on everything from back pain to cancer, the field is seeing ever-growing popularity. More and more patients are now seeking out massage therapy practitioners to either supplement or replace Western medicinal methods.
Other Recognized Forms of Alternative Medicine
Here is a list of practices presently recognized as alternative medicine with definitions informed by the Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine:
- Acupuncture – A thousand year old healing practice that reinvigorates health through stimulation, usually applied with thin metallic needles, of specific pulse points on the body.
- Ayurvedic Medicine – One of the oldest forms of medicine in the world, Ayurveda is similar to Naturopathy in its prescription of lifestyle changes and heavy reliance on herbs, plants, and oils to cleanse the body.
- Homeopathy – A form of alternative therapy created in Germany that promotes healing through low dose administration of naturally occurring herbs and plants.
- Massage Therapy – Manipulation of the muscular structure to promote healing and general well-being. This ancient practice is one of the more popular alternative methods currently practiced.
- Naturopathy – A form of treatment that prescribes an individualized lifestyle plan for every patient, which may include everything from dietary changes to hydrotherapy and herbal supplements.
- Yoga – A combination of physical postures and breathing exercises meant to attain a state of relaxation or meditation.
The goal of all alternative medicine disciplines is to achieve a healthy balance between mind and body. As a result, many of the above practices complement each other as forms of treatment. Some practitioners choose to focus specifically on one method, although it is possible to specialize in one or more. It may expand your client base to offer a varied skill set.
Featured Massage Therapy Degree Programs
Virginia School of Massage
Prepare for a Career That You Will Love… in Massage Therapy!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Virginia School of Massage, that career can be yours.
Massage therapy is a flexible and rewarding career in which you not only take care of others – you also take care of yourself! You can work in a resort spa, cruise ship, medical office, sports clinic, destination spa, or a day spa close to home. You can even start your own private practice!
Why choose the Virginia School of Massage?
- Graduate in as little as 7 1/2 months.
- Financial aid is available to those who qualify.
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
- Graduate with valuable hands-on experience in our student clinic.
- Career placement assistance is provided to all of our students and graduates.
- Day or evening classes are available.
- Our graduates work for many of the top spa industry employers in the nation.
5,000 New Job Opportunities Every Year!
The Virginia School of Massage is part of the Steiner Education Group (SEG), which operates massage therapy schools and skin care schools at locations across the nation.
SEG’s National Career Services Department has developed a worldwide network of thousands of employers, which generates an average of more than 5,000 new job opportunities for SEG graduates each year!
Of course, your success ultimately depends on you. The Virginia School of Massage cannot guarantee employment or salary. But our career services assistance starts when you are a student and does not stop even after you graduate. From your first job to your last in the industry – whether you need help tomorrow or ten years from now – we’re here to help you succeed.
The Steiner Advantage
The Steiner Education Group is a subsidiary of Steiner Leisure Limited, a global provider of spa services. Steiner Leisure Limited operates more than 175 spas and salons on cruise ships and at resorts worldwide. Steiner spas recruit from the Virginia School of Massage.
- Professional Massage Therapy Program
Arizona College prepares students to work in the “real world” of medicine. With the use of lecture and laboratory teaching, we provide our students with hands on experience. Arizona College also provides job placement services including interview techniques and preparing resumes.
Students at Arizona College can take advantage of many benefits. Arizona College students can get their resumes updated and receive job placement assistance at no charge. Whether looking for a part-time “survival” job while going through school, hoping for the right externship or looking for placement upon graduation, career development is available to help students through their search.
- Massage Therapy
Swedish Institute College of Health Sciences
Welcome to the Swedish Institute’s College of Health Sciences. The Institute was founded in 1916 as the Swedish Institute of Physiotherapy and is the oldest continuously operating massage therapy institution in the country.
The college is proud of its long-standing program in massage therapy, that leads to an Associate in Occupational Studies degree, and has since also added degree programs in Advanced Personal Training, Clinical and Administrative Medical Assistant, Surgical Technologist and Nursing. Three certificate programs are also offered in Medical Billing and Coding, Personal Training and Clinical Medical Assistant. As we celebrate our 100th anniversary, we pledge to continue to offer programs of the same quality that made our massage therapy program a landmark in healthcare education.
- New York
- Massage Therapy
Southeastern College Offers Career Education Designed for Working Adults
As a student at Southeastern College, you will gain the training, skills, and knowledge you need to prepare for a rewarding career in occupations such as:
- Massage Therapy
- Medical Assisting
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Pharmacy Technology
- Practical Nursing
- Surgical Technology and more
Programs vary by campus
Why Southeastern College
Our career-focused programs and flexible class schedules make Southeastern College a great choice for busy working adults. Small classes ensure personalized attention for each student, and you will gain career skills in an educational environment that simulates the workplace, so you can begin using your education immediately on the job.
- Prepare for a new career in as few as eight months
- Learn from dedicated instructors in a caring, friendly learning environment
- Financial aid is available to those who qualify
- Career placement assistance is available for graduates
Contact us today to find out more about why Southeastern College is the right choice to reach your career goals.
Southeastern College is institutionally accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges, 2101 Wilson Blvd, Suite 302, Arlington, Virginia, 22201. Further information may be obtained by contacting the Commission at (703) 247-4212.
- West Palm Beach
- Diploma in Professional Clinical Massage Therapy/Terapia de Masaje Clinico Profesional (Bilingual offering)